Thread: Serial Network

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Serial Network

how can i, and is it possible to network pc's via a serial cable? i know i can play some primative games sutch as Duke 3D, but can i share files??

thx
    -- Dcoder

0 Not allowed!

[MPUK] Battlefield Leader
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1
    yes you can, i used an iccle dos proggy (cant remember name now, think it was laplink )

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,209
    Given: 818
    Moved to appropriate forum

the big question is why. with network cards at ten a penny (well, nearly) why do you need a serial network? all the protocols that you would use via serial can (mostly) be replicated on an Ethernet network.

0 Not allowed!
    SHAZAAM! - My Achievements! - Join http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ NOW!, or rot in Heck - XBox Live Tag : cabe007

"Out the 100 Base-T port, past the Router, off the Bridge, through the Firewall..... Nothing but Net."

"The views expressed above are those of the poster and not those of Multiplay UK."

Thumbs Up
    i dont have a spare network card in my house at this moment in time and i do have a serial cable. and really, what does it matter anyway, the fact that i would know how to do it for future knowledge.

i managed to get them to connect, print sharing works, but i dunno how to get file sharing to work, both the C drived of both computers are set to sharing. i was expecting a icon or somthing to appear in network neighbourhood, but no sutch luck.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,209
    Given: 818
    as serial is such an archaic form of transfer you do indeed need a seperate pice of software called Laplink. Serial Transfer doesnt work on the "TCP/IP" stack in the same way that ethernet does.

TBH its easer to pull the HD and transfer info that way, as the speeds associated with serial transfer are best described as "Modem" as it has a max transfer speed of 115Kbps.

0 Not allowed!
    SHAZAAM! - My Achievements! - Join http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ NOW!, or rot in Heck - XBox Live Tag : cabe007

"Out the 100 Base-T port, past the Router, off the Bridge, through the Firewall..... Nothing but Net."

"The views expressed above are those of the poster and not those of Multiplay UK."

crazed Mongoose fanatic LlamaMan's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    If you really must (I had to do this to install CD-ROM drivers on my Toshiba Libretto laptop which has an impossible to find proprietry PCMCIA floppy drive that I dont have) then you can transfer files over the serial cable with hyperterminal.

Just plug in the cable (make sure its wired as a crossover) and start hyperterminal on both computers (its bundled with most windows versions), type a name hit okay and just choose com 1 (or whatever port) then set one computer to wait for a call and select call on the other. If they connect properly everything you type into the window on one machine should be mirrored on the other. Then you can select the 'Transfer' menu and choose to send a file (do the same on the other but select recieve a file before you start the sending machine going). The file should start sending very slowly (several hours for a meg or two!).

If it doesnt work its best to just fiddle with settings (and make sure the advanced settings for both machines are the same). Also the file transfer has a habit of breaking, usually several hours into the transfer but perseverance and not touching anything while you do it usually pays off.

The only other point to make is that this is extremely slow and you should only use it as a last resort, it can be good for games though, the original Dungeon Keeper doesnt seem to like TCP/IP networking under XP but it was ace over a serial cable.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by LlamaMan; 27th January 2003 at 19:43.

Just "Bob"
    i-Series Server Team
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Multiplay UK
    Thumbs Up
    of course, you could always use Direct Cable Connection over a null modem cable like i used to to play q2, and duke nukem 3d. However, i dont thint the DCC program is in anything after windows 98, which is a shame, as it did prove quite useful

0 Not allowed!

Rest in Pieces
    Thumbs Up
    ok i have a serial cable laying around somewhere, but is it possibleto connect them with XP and play Duke3D, C&C Tiberium Dawn (i loved that 2 player) etc.

I remember laplink, and i rememebr it takign an hour an a half to copy across just 30mb, but the last time i did it all i was running WIndows 95 on my brand new 1500 P100. How things change.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 350
    Given: 45
    Aye take note a standard serial cable will not work for networking as bob said use the proper thing which is a null modem cable. Oh how I remember the days playing duke3d over null modem.

Yes it does takes ages to copy files of large sizes but its perfect for games as teh traffic is not that large esp d3d

And yes XP can do it just create a new network connection and then choose advance create one guest and one host.

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information